Destruction of a Landmark
1908—In the demolition of the old stone and brick building that stood near the center of blocks 1 and 4 at the corner of Duncan and Beaufort Streets, one of the oldest and best known land marks of the village, was wiped out.
The rear of the building was constructed of cobble stones and was erected by a man named Dudley for a bakery way back in the early youth of the village.
Strickland & Morgan built a brewery on the corner to the west, near the river bank and pursued quite a business for many years. But there are no records that the bakery ever baked.
The house was occupied by the Hix and Stringham families and Mrs. H. L. Root, daughter of the late Nicholas Stringham was the last to live there.