It was generally believed that the Republicans of Manchester in 1860s had one of the best campaign banners in the state in the early days. The flag was painted by Amsden & Miller for a cost of $75. The size was 45 feet long by 10 feet wide. On one side of the banner was a beautiful scene on the Mississippi River with a fort on the bluffs, gun-boats and General Grant in the foreground. On the other side was a battle scene with the General on horse back ordering the Reserves to the front.
It was reported that pedestrians passing along the street were continually colliding with each other while gazing at the gorgeous flag. With this in mind, it was ordered that it be displayed only on Saturdays.
Graham & Goodyear moved their stock of goods to the Goodyear Block's west store with Wastell Brothers, as Graham prepared to move his old store back on the south end of his lot in preparation of building a new two-story brick building. Clark & Weir planned to build half of the wall on the west side and G. L. Unterkircher one half on the east side, in March of 1868.
The Goodyear block had three stories, which was singled out as a brick structure of architectural beauty and would have been a credit to a much larger town. On the first floor were two stores, one hundred feet from front to rear. One was a hardware store operated by Miller & Webb. The other was the dry good store of the Wastell Brothers. The second floor had numerous offices including the Manchester Enterprise newspaper office. The third floor was the Goodyear hall-one of the best in the country.