Foundation Walls for Cement Plant
Cement sidewalks made their appearance in 1903, when eight were poured.
It was also in 1903 that the Toledo Portland Cement Co. poured walls for what supposedly would be one of the largest and most up-to-date cement plants in the country. It was situated in the southern part of the village a short distance from the Lake Shore railway station and occupied 23 acres.
The local paper gave the venture a feature display and elaborated in detail the plans for the immense plant. The promoters pointed out the existence of great lakes of marl and banks of clay in the village. The building was never erected and the walls stood like the remains of some ancient ruins until shrubs and vines covered them.