The Township of Manchester, or Mashawesid Senibawegin, forms the main section of the Burr Oak Plains of Washtenaw. The lakes are Iron Lake, Half Moon, Lower, Mud, Holmes, Twin, Mountain Lake and Sigwan Kitchigami, a small pond near Iron Creek.
Manchester and Bridgewater Townships were settled about the same time, both prior to 1832, within the boundary of Dexter Township. Col. Daniel Hixson and his wife were the first settlers in the new township and their farm was near the Clinton line. Manchester and Bridgewater were divided in 1836, and Manchester Township's first Supervisor was James H. Fargo.
By 1833 pioneers began to filter into the new settlement and many young businessmen from the East chose Manchester in preference to Ann Arbor as a location.